Monday, November 14, 2011

Using our Bodies


While reading my Intro to Theology book today, I stumbled across something that got me thinking! While defending the use of icons in the church, St. Theodore of Studios said, "If merely mental contemplation [of God] were sufficient, it would have been sufficient for him to come to us in a merely mental way." Even though it didn't get me thinking much more about icons (whoops, sorry Dr. Mattox!), it did get me thinking about how we worship God.

God is active, He is moving. He isn't stagnant. He sent His one and only son to die for our sins, defeat death, but also show us how to live here and now. And Jesus did everything but just sit around - He was always on the move, healing people, preaching the Word of God, and praying to his Father in Heaven. Why should we content to have a faith that is merely believing in our heads? That doesn't even seem like real Christianity. Following Jesus means living lives of love!

One specific thing that I was thinking about was the way we worship - whether in church or out in the world giving glory to God in all that we do! Living out our faith with our physical bodies isn't just something extra, it's mandatory! So why should we be content to do nothing special with our bodies while in church? I love outward signs - the sign of the cross, genuflecting, raising our hands in praise, kneeling, putting our hands together in prayer, dancing, hugging, etc! I'm not saying that in order to worship God we have to do one or all of these things, but my question for you is this: Why wouldn't you? I propose that we glorify God with all that we have all the time, especially with our bodies. God sent Jesus to earth in a physical body, so we should use ours when following him :)

No comments:

Post a Comment