Wednesday, February 1, 2012

Philippians

Tonight at Bible Study, we read Philippians, which is one of the happiest works I've ever read! Paul exudes the joy of Christ, and this is what the letter is often equated with. Instead of the typical parts about joy catching my eye, though, a different theme stood out to me tonight.

"But whatever was to my profit I now consider loss for the sake of Christ. What is more, I consider everything a loss compared to the surpassing greatness of knowing Christ Jesus my Lord, for whose sake I have lost all things. I consider them rubbish, that I may gain Christ and be found in him, not having a righteousness of my own that comes from the law, but that which is through faith in Christ - the righteousness that comes from God and is by faith. I want to know Christ and the power of his resurrection and the fellowship of sharing in his sufferings, becoming like him in his death, and so, somehow, to attain to the resurrection from the dead."
-Philippians 3:7-11

This is a huge passage, and there's a lot that can be talked about and dissected, but for whatever reason, God put the earnestness of Paul and his desire to learn on my heart. Paul is so eager to know Jesus and everything about him, how to become like him, and ultimately, how to achieve resurrection. The eagerness and readiness in this passage is overwhelming and enveloping, and I pray that we would all have hearts so eager to know the Lord more and more.

I don't know about you, but I feel that I'm in a rut of complacency and contentment, a place where I'm able to trick myself into thinking that I know enough. Of course I don't know it all, but I know enough. How could I ever think this? How could I ever know enough about a God who is infinite and holy and all-powerful and more incredible than any book could ever teach? How am I content with the little I know?

As we draw closer to the weekend (it's Thursday, I can say that!), I hope you will join will me in praying for and seeking after the wisdom and knowledge of the Lord!

On a side note, I discovered the organization Preemptive Love Coalition today and was blown away by how awesome it is! Click on the name and check out their website - you won't be disappointed!!

And if opening another tab dissuades you, I've even posted their video below for you to check out. That's how much I like these guys!

Have a wonderful day :)



No comments:

Post a Comment